Tuesday, August 12, 2008

BEIJING 2008

(Cameron Spencer/Getty; Times Online)


So, needless to say, I've been consuming as much of the Olympics as I possibly can. I'm an avid supporter of the Olympics. When I was a little girl, women's gymnastics and and The Little Mermaid were basically on the same level of greatness to me. Actually, they both still are on a pretty high level in the "levels of greatness" in my mind. Other things that win medals in the "levels of greatness" include various foods (particularly tropical fruit, dairy, and pastries), expensive new lip gloss, homework due dates postponed- but only before you've done the homework, people who tell me I'm beautiful (I'll take "hot" too), and clean bathrooms. But, ever since the Olympics have been at Beijing, they have surpassed all levels of greatness, even Ariel and her seashell cups.
In the B.T. world (Before Tian), I really found the Chinese culture quite mysterious, and my greatest link to them yet another Disney animation: Mulan. (By no means do I mean to discredit Mulan and all it's greatness.) However, in the Tian and Post Tian worlds, so much more has been revealed. (I will spare you my mission memoir right now.) SO... let's take a "little" quiz.
The following two characters are the Chinese equivalent of the English "GO!" Not as in "stop and go" but as in you are cheering for David Beckham to either head the ball into the goal or break up with Victoria so that you two can finally get to know each other.
The first character is pronounced Jee-yah (Jia1) and the second is pronounced Yo (you2). On the first character kind of sing a straight note in your upper register. No slurs please; these aren't IDOL auditions. On the second character, start a little lower in your register and move your voice up, or follow this line with your voice: / GOOD! (I hope you are reading this at work because it's a great conversation starter.)
加 油

Now, for the quiz. You have two options. One means China and one means America. The goal is to complete the phrase: GO [answer here]!!!! So, what's your choice. Don't look it up; take a guess first.
1) 中國

2) 美 國

Okay, the next post will have the answer. Oh, this is great fun!

2 comments:

Heiderhead said...

Notice how nobody has commented yet? Hmmmm, fewer quizzes and more sex appeal. That's what I say.
siiii!

Shelton and Bethany said...

Ha! I was watching an Olympic update as I was reading your blog, and right when I got the the Chinese Character part, the show host started talking about how to cheer in Chinese. My guess is the second one. No reason really, but if I were making a two answer quiz, I would make the correct answer the second one.

And, as for Heiderhead's comment, why does she think you included David Beckham? Because he's a good soccer player? Ha. Shows how much she knows.