Thursday, July 3, 2008

And the last shall become first

BEFORE HE WAS BOND HE WAS...

Whenever people tell me they are an only child, I cry for them inside. But that's because all of my siblings are GREAT, and perfect for me. I wouldn't want one more or one less. Yes, I even will keep my high school arch enemy: Bunny. (Don't let her nickname fool you; she was an evil Bunny then. You always wondered where the children book series BUNNICULA came from now didn't you?)
Bunny and I didn't always get along, considering that she is the one closest to me in age and, well, let's just say that one of my talents is wearing her clothes. Sometimes, I will think back on Bunny and my "fights"; they were more verbal than physical which can hurt a lot longer than any slug. (She did once give me a black eye, but that wasn't because we were in opposition. Rather, we were attempting our own home-Olympics SLC 2002, and there was an athletic mishap on the couples' superman couch launch. You'd think we would grow out of it, but two weeks ago we were vaulting off each other's back side into the grand kids' swimming pool. Aren't we cool aunts?).
However, Bunny and I never fight now. She willingly (and will-fully, as I typically adverb that word) gives me her clothes, buys me opera and jazz tickets for special occasions, and always wants to hang out with me (that's the best feeling). In fact, only Bunny will rent all "Remington Steele" DVDs at the local library just to fire-up an old fetish of mine and kick off the holiday in style. Yes, that's right, we're having our yearly "Fourth of July and Remington Steele" party. This is our first year.
Other people don't understand my obsession with Remington Steele, neither do I. It's just one of those things that are totally lame but yet I completely love, and I will stand by that love. Only Bunny accepts this part of me. Bunny has a great talent for knowing what she and others are good and not good at; she willfully volunteers this information too.

Bunny: "I'm a good driver."

Me: "Yes, you are a good driver, Eve."

Bunny: "You're a good driver too, Holls."

Me: (thinking to myself) "Maybe that can be one of my talents.?"

Bunny: "Hide is not good at helping clean."

Bunny also always stands up for me against the "older ones" and the 'rents. It's strange, really, how she suddenly turned and joined my side after she graduated from high school. Maybe she feels like the job to criticize me should only be fulfilled by her. And, Bunny will let you eat all the tootsie rolls in her house, even when she is on a tight budget, including the flavored ones.
Anyway, so this was originally suppose to be a post about Barrister Joe because he's really great too and sends me flowers at worky for no reason at all, but I totally went a different direction than I planned. I suppose this is a good thing. Next time I'll have my title reflect my rantings and ravings rather than the other way around. Have you ever done that?: Thought of a good title for a book, poem, essay, blog, etc. but as far as the actual writing went, well, yeah, you get the picture.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

1) I did not know that you loved Remington Steele.
2) I like Bun Bun too.
3) Once again, reading a post from anyone in your family makes me want to be a part of it. Will you PPPPLLELLLELELELEAAAAAASSSSSEEEE consider marrying Lexy Poo so our families can be forever joined in unity and love? Take one for the team.

IsabellaArchery said...

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who enjoys a little Steele now and then. What I like about Remington Steele is that it is the perfect kind of fluff: the debonair guy, the funny situations, just enough romantic tension to make things interesting, and you know it will all work out in the end. Also, Remington loves old movies, so if you watch the show, you always come away with movies to Netflix. It's nice to have those things that are just simply fun, without needing to be analyzed. Kinda like the peppy, cotton-candy 80's songs tucked away in the dusty corners of my iPod. They have no meaning; they're just fun to dance to and sing along with. I suspect that if we actually didn't have some fluff in our lives, we would turn into stodgy, suspicious lumps.