Thursday, July 10, 2008

To Eden With Love

Sometimes I think about this sculpture. I haven't figured out why but she always pops up in my mind. Maybe it's because it's Rodin. Or maybe it's because it's Eve. Hum. It's probably the combination of the two.

I feel like Rodin can be so aggressive in his work but this conveys such a sense of vulnerability that it makes me feel better about my own weaknesses. I like to think this is Eve right after she has partaken of the forbidden fruit, before she has told Adam. She's so shamed and lonely standing there. It's appropriately tragically human. She has become all human, and more so, all woman.

Can you imagine what strength it took for her to give Adam the fruit? I have no such strength. I would have hidden in my transgression, and nakedness, probably snacking on fruit. But in those brief moments, or whatever amount of time, between Eve eating the fruit and her offering it to Adam, there rests a certain amount of power; power derived from knowledge. She is so utterly fallen but packed with potential it's overwhelming.
I can't stand it. I want to be with her, talk with her. I love Eve. I love Adam too, but more so Eve. And she has had to put up with so much criticism through the centuries. So, thanks Eve, for taking one for the team.

3 comments:

shelley said...

Three thoughts:
I love that you think anything is "appropriately tragic."
I wonder why we are attracted to Rodin sculpture?
I love Eve too.

Unknown said...

I really love about how you bring humor even into serious topics. Picturing you as Eve snacking on the fruit made me laugh! Then I remember to be serious again.

IsabellaArchery said...

It's stories like these that make me wish there had been a little more space reserved in the scriptural accounts for people's feelings. I really would like to know how Eve personally felt when they were cast out, how she felt about Cain and Abel and all the other children, and about the whole "travail in birth" thing (This was all very poorly planned!). I guess I want to know how she dealt with things and how it made sense to her in her own heart. I agree, Shelley, I love Eve (Although not Eve Harrington, she's psycho. I'm glad that Margo Channing figured her out.)