Thursday, July 17, 2008

So You Think You Can Bollywood?


NOTE: I actually wrote this about a week ago, but never posted because I couldn't get the youtube videos to download. And, I tried on two different computers at various times. Sorry. I really am working on having more graphics and pictures and the like- I really think it will increase this blog's "viewership." Heiderhead and I discussed how cool it would be to be paid to blog; therefore, leading us into a discussion on ways to tempt people to my blog. We settled on making it PG-13 rather than PG, or maybe it's G. Hum. But that would mean my life would have to get a lot more exciting. You know, physical violence, passion, kissing (for HH), and other such "adult-themes." I'll work on it.

So, now that that's been said, here's my post:

I'm so thrilled. Why? 1) I love it when something you have loved for years finally catches on with the general public. Actually, I get kind of anxious inside like people are stealing my great ideas. 2) You can't help be pleased when two of your favorite things merge. (I will have you know that I use "merge" frequently when driving, as well as "protected permitted.")

You don't have to love this; you don't even have to watch the whole thing, but give it a piece of your heart for one brief moment and if you don't start bouncing your shoulders than you really have no heart but a large metal pump that circulates your blood and might as well make friends with other mechanical people like the Tin Man. In fact, once Nigel (he's the judge with the "weird" accent) starts talking then pause it so that you can bask in the leftover nuances of Bollywood.

(insert youtube video here; if you put "SYTYCD katee and joshua bollywood" in the search bar, you'll bring it up)


It just makes it greater that it is Katee and Joshua dancing it. Yes, I do watch SYTYCD enough to know their names and spell them correctly. But, I like ProSC, just think it's good manners to spell names right.


Last week on SYTYCD, Katee and Joshua did this contemporary piece by Mia. Oh it was so good that I wanted to rat my bangs really big and pin them in a bridge over my head. Yes. This dance is good for the "do I have a metal heart" test too.

(insert other youtube video; "sytycd katee and joshua mia contemporary")

The best thing about SYTYCD is that it's a family affair at my home. Chenko and Pod love the show too. More than me because I am otherwise engaged on Wednesday nights (meaning I can't get out of my church calling) and so I watch it on YouTube. Chenko and Pod are into the live-showing. When I get home, Pod gives me an update, and it's full of "features and benefits" (education application here). He tells me the facts and then he makes his own commentary.

In order to appreciate how ridiculously crazy this is, the 'rent aspect that is, you have to understand that Pamchenko and Podly never watch TV. (Oh, that was a big fat lie on Podly's end because he's a closet Treky. Actually, he watches more than that but we just like to keep it to the classics-so we tell people he just likes Star Trek.) However, Chenko never watches TV. She's a netflix gal. Once in a while she'll slip in some Masterpiece Theater- that's why I'm such a geek.

We started watching the show because a local is one of the contestants, Thayne. Thayne choreographed a dance for us when I was on the high school Dance Company. None of us could handle it, to say the least. Too hard. So, it gives me secret pleasure when the judges tell him he wasn't great. Now, Thayne is gone, but there are still two other Utah peeps on the show, out of the original four.

Speaking of the judges, Podly and I had a vigorous discussion about the judges on SYTYCD and American Idol. What the heck does Paula mean by "pitchy" and "tonight you were truth?" How can one be the entity truth? Say flat or sharp for crying out loud.

If anything, I'm glad for the mass production of reality television that's being produced. It's nice to be reminded on a day-to-day basis that at least I'm not lame enough to sign myself up for something like that. Then again, maybe if I was on reality TV more people would read my blog. The possibilities...

4 comments:

IsabellaArchery said...

I was watching this one with Aja, and I just started bouncing up and down on the couch, "Oh! They're going to do Bollywood! Oh!" I think someone should suggest that the Hare Krishna temple host lessons (BYOB: Bring your own bangles) for Mormon girls who 1)want to wear saris and 2)who have long necks, perfect for all those side-to-side neck undulations, and 3)aren't very good at toe pointing, therefore the flexed-foot approach would cover that up nicely.

Rachel said...

my choir director always uses the term 'pitchy' . Annoying.

Joshi said...

I am still waiting for your post on Bollywood? When are we gonna see that? :)

Unknown said...

Ooohhh! Isabellaarchery knows you too! I know who she is now! Hi!!!

SYTYCD is on at the same time as Project Runway. This presents a problem for me right now. I suppose I could download, but it is much more fun live right?
Project Runway won out last night as I was with Freskner and Koortis. We went to a bar, got some water and burgers, and turned up the sound!

You are truth.