Monday, July 7, 2008

Weekend Assignment


Ah, I did it again: I made a title for this post before actually writing. Now you're thinking, "that's a very unexciting title." Well ProSc is the manufacturer of this post and therefore title-giver. (Note- I typically don't use the term "manufacturer" outside of retail, or other business-related, contexts; but, I watched the BBC series Cranford over the weekend, along with Remington, and one of the characters used this word in a context similiar to the one I'm using, and I thought to myself, "wouldn't that be fun to try out on a 21st century audience?" The series was fab, by the way, especially if you like to keep up on the British acting elite with titles. Wouldn't it be fun to be Dame Such and Such or Sir So and So?) Once again I have written more inside the parentheses () rather than outside, thus defeating the purpose.

So, the "Weekend Assignment" was to buy a stranger a coke and then blog about it. Well, I had to adapt the assignment to my current circumstance because the Y campus doesn't sell coke except for the caffeine-free kind which I just feel would be wrong to give a stranger. Something about that just doesn't sit right with me, can't explain it. So, I settled for a Snickers candy bar. I think a snickers bar is the most generally excepted of candybars and that I couldn't go wrong, but I'm open to arugment on that. I personally (wow, I just watched five girls walk out of a classroom and open up their cell phones at exactly the same time; it was so surreal and then I reminded myself that it was 2008) enjoy a Snickers.

In my pre-op plans, I most decidedly decided to treat a retail clerk. Yep, I have a little soft-spot in my heart for all those retail clerks. After my 3+ years at the 'Roc, I feel like us start at minimum-wage, no-collar, "I do this because 'some money is better than no money' (This I Believe)", bottom of the assembly line employees of corporate America should stick together. And you know what, I don't deny my time. I feel like my years in customer service has made me a much more accepting person. And I will always leave stores 10 minutes before closing. 

Anyway, I already knew where I would make my attack: the Cougar Eat. And it was so great. I just got in line and bought pop-tarts (they're the best bang for my buck and taste buds) and a Snickers and then gave the Snickers to the clerk who had already happily rang me up. She even gave me my coins before my bills, bless her heart. (If you don't know why that is important then you obvioulsy don't pay with cash enough.) And the best part is, all the candybars where the same price, so if she doesn't like Snickers she can switch it out. Come to think of it, she did look more like a Twix kind of girl.
Whoa, this is where I got the snickers wrapper pic from: www.mikescandywrappers.com/candymain.html

5 comments:

Heiderhead said...

Ohhhhhh I can't wait till your Profe gives the Send a Snickers to your Sis in Texas assignment. That's a good one.

Unknown said...

You watched Cranford?! Did you love it? I like the cow in the pajamas part the best maybe, but the whole thing was fabulous. If I can't live in Cranford, can I live in Peauntopolis?

Rachel said...

I only wish that more clerks would give the change before the bills! I'm still waiting for Cranford to come from Netflix. Rob moved all his movies to the top of the queue while I was in Utah so we have 'Hellboy' and 'GhostRider' but no Dame Judy.

Unknown said...

I don't know you, but I like eggs and toast, especially toast made from homemade bread, like the toast I had for dinner last night (my wife is awesome). Anyway, I saw your blog linked from my brother's blog (Brad Perkins). I haven't read all your posts, but certainly enjoyed this one about the Snickers. Sounds like a great assignment (Brad blogged about his experience as well).

Mego said...

Ummmm...who is ProSc? I think I had him for Eng 315/16 before the mish. I hated/loved those weekend assignments, and I loved watching my brother try to prove to him that he was passionate about something. And......I have never had a clerk give me my change before the bills, but I may start requesting them to ;)