Friday, July 25, 2008

"You selfish, selfish girl."

I read an article in the newspaper that made some implications to the ultimate selfishness of blogs. Well, duh! Isn't that why we blog?

I personally blog because...(well, main reason is ProSc makes us but he never checks to see if we really are blogging; so, this is more like reasons I continue to blog)

1) I am QUEEN of my blog.
2) I can talk about pretty much whatever pleases me at the time.
3) I can be as e-lam as I want.
4) I get to nickname people various different names and they are just grateful I'm not exposing their real identity to the virtual public (even though Fuzzy Robot has a way of finding out who anyone is in the digital network. Be careful of F. Robot- she may seem harmless, but she's a stalking genius.)

Of course there are other reasons to blog but they are selfish too. Hum. So, in an attempt to add to the completer selfishness of my bloggery, here's something entirely about ME!!!

For being the youngest of five, I am naturally the most talented and beautiful. In a frightful frenzy of revenge my older siblings have tried to alter my perceived sense of self in unusual ways. Their favorite method: nicknames.

All of my nicknames and their derivatives:

Woggy
Woggins
Holly Berry
Berry
Sister Tips
Tian Jiemei
Sister Tian
Boticelli
Chelly
Chell
Hollencia
Hollence of Arabia
Bits of Dew
"B"
Hollini
Holly Rose Bud
Hooly
Tippy
Hai Ruo
Holls
Holly Woddle Doodle Oddle Day
Miracle-cle
Suber Baby
Belly
Hooligan
Waldorf (Yes, as in -Historia)

Now you understand why I am so strange.

Wikipedia has some interesting things to say about nicknames (notice that nicknames are either cruel or endearing and sometimes both; funny how those two feelings get mixed up):

"A nickname is a name of an entity or thing that is not its proper name. It may either be used instead of, or in addition to, the proper name. Not to be confused with a familiar or truncated form of the proper name, such as Bob, Bobby, Rob, Robbie, Robin, and Bert for Robert which is called a short name.
The term
hypocoristic or "pet name" is used to refer to a nickname of affection between those in love or with a close emotional bond, compared with a term of endearment. The term diminutive name refers to nicknames that convey smallness of the names,[clarify] e.g., referring to children. The distinction between the two is often blurred.
As a concept, it is distinct from both
pseudonym and stage name, and also from a title (for example, City of Fountains), although there may be overlap in these concepts.
A nickname is sometimes considered desirable, symbolising a form of acceptance, but can often be a form of ridicule."

7 comments:

Shelton and Bethany said...

I don't know where the "b" nickname came from, but do you remember that early morning chemistry session in my bedroom where we didn't really do chemistry at all and instead sang "ooooo beeeeee" in various pitches from about 5 to 6:30 am? Cause I sure do.

Oh, and your dad is buying cottage cheese? Was he planning on inviting me over?

Craig said...

Waldorf,
Bwah! I've long felt you should call your blog "The Wog Blog." (The least you could do is substitute "blogging" with "wogging" when you refer to it on your blog.)

shelley said...

I think you look more like a Vermeer than a Botticelli.

IsabellaArchery said...

Be grateful that you are the youngest of five, even though you had to suffer and be a slave to your sisters. It is worth enduring much to grasp the title of "Most talented and beautiful." I held the title for many years, and thought I had is sewn up, but alas, my pride caught up with me in my eighth year, and John arrived. He doesn't even CARE that he's the most talented and beautiful. It kills me! Sometimes, I pretend to be the youngest anyway. It doesn't fly at family reunions, but in most other situations I get away with it.

Unknown said...

Twinkie,
You forgot one.

Love,
Fuzzy Robot

p.s. to anyone else reading this,
If I do not know you are now, don't worry, I will.

Shayne said...

Ah, Never say never on the ProSC checking your Blog! I will lurk around here for the rest of your life! Great entries! SC

Mego said...

ummmm.....how dare you leave out your most used and prized name Mrs. Nesbit?!?!!? I'm slightly offended. But maybe that's because I'm a prideful prideful girl ;) ha